Thanks for checking in!

I started this blog to keep in touch with my family and friends during my time attending Commissioned Officer Training (COT) and the Judge Advocate Staff Officer Course (JASOC) at Maxwell Air Force Base in Montgomery, Alabama. Now I'm done with training and back in the "real" world, but I'll keep updating this blog with any interesting developments from my JAG career.






Sunday, July 24, 2011

Biscuiteaters, Buttertongues and Big Mo

After the last lecture ended on the first Friday of JASOC, my classmates started huddling together in different groups trying to decide what, if anything to do together over the weekend.  A number of people mentioned going to a "Biscuits game" that night.  I had no idea what that meant, so I asked someone.  Apparently, there is a minor-leage baseball team that plays in Riverwalk Stadium in downtown Montgomery.  They are, of course, the Montgomery Biscuits.

I was pretty beat, so despite my desire to check out the Biscuits (what a weird but cool name!) I decided not to join the group headed to the game that night.  As it turned out, the game was rained out (go figure!) so I didn't miss much.  But I got a great chance the next night.  One of my JASOC friends ended up befriending a local bar owner who has a suite at Riverwalk Stadium, and he was invited to go to the game.  I decided to tag along.

We met a bunch of locals at the game, and they gave us some interesting background information on the team, which has only been in Montgomery for about five years.  Apparently the team was originally going to be named the Biscuiteaters.  But some people didn't like that, likely because it fed into a stereotype.  (I actually think that name is pretty cool)  The solution?  Instead of being those who eat biscuits, the team became the Biscuits themselves!  It has to be among the funniest names in all of minor-league baseball.  And the logo, a biscuit split at the middle with googly eyes and a pat of butter for a tongue, is absolutely hilarious.  The locals affectionately refer to him as "Buttertongue."
The oddity of the Montgomery Biscuits doesn't stop there.  For some reason the team has another mascot named Big Mo, who looks like a little like Snuffleupagus walking on two legs.  As weird as Big Mo is, my highlight of the night may have been when he randomly walked into our suite and sat down next to me for a picture!






The game was an absolute blast.  Riverwalk Stadium is beautiful, the weather was a breezy mid-80s, the Biscuits won, and there were fireworks after the game.  I'm hoping to catch a couple more games before leaving Montgomery - and I'm definitely going to bring Joaquin to see Big Mo and some fireworks!

No comments:

Post a Comment