Thanks for checking in!

I started this blog to keep in touch with my family and friends during my time attending Commissioned Officer Training (COT) and the Judge Advocate Staff Officer Course (JASOC) at Maxwell Air Force Base in Montgomery, Alabama. Now I'm done with training and back in the "real" world, but I'll keep updating this blog with any interesting developments from my JAG career.






Sunday, July 17, 2011

A pyrotechnic-filled, pooh-riffic goodbye . . .

Ever since the Fourth of July, Joaquin has been obsessed with fireworks.  We left Solvang for Pasadena late on the Fourth, and Joaquin got a taste of pyrotechnics as we drove home.  After peering out the car window all through the Valley, Burbank, and, Glendale, Joaquin emerged from the car with a new mantra:  "Joaquin watch fireworks."  But for some reason Joaquin has taken to pronouncing his name with an "F" at the front lately, so it sounded like "Fah-keen watch fireworks."  Every time he does that with his name Susan and I can't help but look at each other and stifle a laugh.  We don't want to encourage him, but sometimes it's impossible to keep a straight face.

After putting Joaquin on my shoulders to catch a glimpse of the Rose Bowl fireworks, we settled in front of the TV to watch the big New York televised celebration.  He loved it.  So much in fact that he spent the entire week reminding us that "Joaquin watch fireworks."  Because of his new obsession, we decided to spend my last night in California at Disneyland, which puts on a fireworks show every night during the summer.  It was pretty much a perfect night.  We got to the park just in time to go on Peter Pan's Flight, Dumbo's Flight, and ride the carousel (Joaquin's three favorite rides) before changing Joaquin into his pajamas and watching the fireworks display.  He was a little less enthusiastic about fireworks afterward, it seemed.  I think the sound got to him, because he introduced his new mantra to us before drifting off to sleep in his stroller:  "Fireworks loud."




The next morning we left the house at 6:45 am to catch a sneak preview of the new Winnie-the-Pooh movie at the El Capitan in Hollywood.  The movie started at 7:30, so we left Joaquin in his pajamas, wanting him to sleep as much as possible (he normally sleeps until about 8:30).  We got to the theater at about 7:15, and it was already packed!  People must have been in line to enter the theater well before the doors opened at 7:00.  I shouldn't have been surprised.  The preview was a special D23 event and Susan practically had to sell our second child to get tickets after she was told it was sold out, so the audience was largely adult Disneyphiles.  There was a small contingent of other kids there, though, some of them even in pajamas like Joaquin.

The movie was really, really great.  I highly recommend it to everyone.  You'll like it even if you don't have kids.  Trust me.  Joaquin was rapt the entire time, staring at the screen and naming the characters as they appeared, disappeared, and reappeared on screen.  Well, not the entire time.  We did have to take a short break in the middle of the movie, after Joaquin overpowered his overnight diaper and christened my lap with pee.  But I was happy to do some daddy duty and clean him up, since I won't get a chance to do that for the next month while I'm in Alabama.


Checking out the Pooh and Tigger figures on his crocs.

After the movie, we went to the gift shop at the El Capitan and then snapped a photo with a Mickey Mouse statue sitting outside on Hollywood Boulevard.  And with that, it was home, some last-minute packing, and an afternoon flight to Alabama.  I should have more time to post than I did during COT, so stay tuned.

Joaquin's face and body language here crack me up.

No comments:

Post a Comment